Monday 25 January 2010

Bribery? Heck yeah!!!

So, George isn't too keen on doing his homework this week...choosing his fave character from a fairy tale, drawing them and writing a bit about why he chose them, words that describe them and what he'd change to make them better. And...if he feels up to it (don't give him the choice!!!) maybe writing a new fairy tale with the new improved version of the character in it.
Now I was looking forward to doing this! George LOVES drawing so point 1 was easy peasy. George usually loves making up and telling stories, so I thought the rest was a done deal. But not on Saturday, or yesterday.
And I do hate it when he gets in a total funk and starts crying coz, well, then I've lost haven't I?!?!? If I force him to do it, it'll be run-of-the-mill, no-extra-effort, zero-personality work. It will totally lose any potential magic and even the colouring in will be naff! In essence, he'll let himself down.

SO...bribery!

I finally got him to draw something...


Pretty cool I thought, and then I had an idea. So, we scanned in George's drawing and then printed the characters out separately on transfer paper. I then set to making hand puppets on the STRICT proviso that, tonight, he does the writey bit with NO fuss!


[artist's note: this piggy has a scared face 'cause his house is made of sticks!]

We shall see, but in the meantime, here's George doing his impromptu mid-breakfast puppet show...


"Little pig, little pig, please let me in"
[scared faced pig!]



This pig made his house out of sticks
[scared faced pig!]



"Not by the hair on my chinny, chin, chin! I will not let you in!"
[happy faced pig...bricks you see!]

A puppet show is a great way to start the week...I can highly recommend it [though you may end up running to school as we did :) ].

Happy Monday!!
=]

PS don't use old transfer paper...takes ages to iron on and then you end up gluing down the edges of the image! D'oh!

No comments:

Post a Comment